The countdown to the seasonal celebrations starts here – and the leading destination town for all things Christmas is Tunbridge Wells where, on certain dates in December visitors and shoppers can benefit from free parking
Christmas shoppers and visitors to Tunbridge Wells will be offered free parking in all Borough car parks to support late night shopping, which kicks off from Thursday, 17th December until Wednesday, 23rd December 2015. Shoppers will be able to make a night of it with free parking available after 4pm every weekday leading up to the big day.
Jane March, Council Cabinet member with responsibility for economic development, tourism and leisure, said: “The Christmas period is vital to all the town centre businesses. The Council is delighted to support this initiative by offering free parking and adding to the town’s attractions with the ice rink.”
The countdown begins…
A festive programme of events is planned for November and December as town centre businesses work together to attract visitors to Tunbridge Wells, promoting the town as the best place to shop, dine and enjoy Christmas activities in the South East.
The first key date for your diary is Santa’s arrival at Royal Victoria Place on Thursday, 19th November to officially open his Festive Frozen Forest Grotto from 4.30pm, followed by the Christmas Lights Switch On from 6pm with the pantomime cast of Cinderella from the Assembly Hall Theatre, which opens Friday, 11th December and runs until Sunday, 3rd January 2016.
Santa will then be making children’s Christmas wishes come true in his Festive Frozen Grotto every day from Friday, 20th November until 4pm on Christmas Eve.
Ice Skating in Calverley Grounds will be open from Friday, 20th November to Sunday, 3rd January 2016. The outdoor ice rink situated within the natural amphitheatre of Calverley Grounds offers spectacular views of the park and really is a unique and special festive experience.
Royal Victoria Place will be hosting a special Black Friday Shopping Event on Friday, 27th November between 8am and 8pm with free parking after 4pm.
On Thursday, 17th December Tunbridge Wells High Street will be hosting a special Late Night Christmas Shopping Evening where many shops will be open late until 9pm with special offers, discounts, refreshments and festive in-store activities. There will also be a raffle in aid of the local charity, Folly Wildlife Rescue Centre.
The seasonal festivities also include Farmers’ markets selling the freshest produce possible – from sprout stalks, sweet parsnips and chutneys to delicious apple juice and wine, plus an array of festive food gifts. Or if you prefer something a bit different, wrap up warm and head over to the bottom of the town and soak up the wintry atmosphere as you wander around the Christmas Market taking place on The Pantiles, the historical centre of Royal Tunbridge Wells.
This is just a small selection of the festive events that Tunbridge Wells will be hosting – keep an eye out for further announcements.
Santa’s Arrival Royal Victoria Place
- Thursday, 19th November, 4.30pm, followed by Christmas Light Switch On, from 6pm
Santa’s Festive Frozen Forest Grotto
- Royal Victoria Place, Friday, 20th November until 4pm on Christmas Eve
Black Friday Shopping Event
- Royal Victoria Place, Friday, 27th November from 8am to 8pm with free parking after 4pm
Ice Skating in the Park
- Calverley Grounds from Friday 20th November until Sunday, 3rd January 2016
Tunbridge Wells Christmas Special Farmers’ Market
- Saturday, 28th November, Civic Way (outside the Town Hall)
- Saturday, 12th December, Civic Way (outside the Town Hall)
- Tuesday, 22nd December, Civic Way (outside the Town Hall), from 10am to 3pm
The Pantiles Christmas Markets
- Saturday, 5th & Sunday, 6th December, from 10am to 4pm
- Saturday, 12th & Sunday, 13th December, from 10am to 4pm
- Saturday, 19th & Sunday, 20th December, from 10am to 4pm
Christmas Pantomime – Cinderella
- The Assembly Hall Theatre, from Friday, 11th December until Sunday, 3rd January 2016
Boxing Day Sale
- Royal Victoria Place, Saturday, 26th December, 10am to 6pm. Pay first 2 hours car parking and rest of the day is free.