As the countdown to the festive season begins we round-up the host of pantos on offer, from school productions to local theatres.
It may only be October but the countdown to the pantomime season has kicked off…oh yes it has! From school productions and amateur dramatics to touring troupes and our leading local theatres, there’s a panto coming to a venue near you that’s guaranteed to put the icing on your festive celebrations.
The history of pantomime can be traced back to 16th century Italy with a form of traveling street theatre called Commedia dell’arte. A physical type of theatre that involved music, tumbling, dance and buffoonery, Commedia troupes had a reputation for stories that they performed in fairgrounds and market places. So what can you look forward to locally this Christmas?
• This festive season EM Forster Theatre, Tonbridge, and Wicked Productions present Aladdin from 16th-30th December. Enjoy laugh-out-loud jokes, marvel at magical special effects, sing-along to favourite songs and witness an astonishing flying carpet with the most opulent and eye-catching pantomime the town has ever seen!
• Thanks to Tonbridge Lions Club together with TM Active, Peter Pan flies into the Angel Centre in Tonbridge in the classic beloved tale performed by Tonbridge Community Pantomine Group on 9th and 10th December.
• The Yellow Brick Road leads directly to the Trinity Theatre in Tunbridge Wells when Dorothy, her dog Toto, the Tin Man, Scarecrow and Lion try to find their way home from Oz in this classic family show between 14th December-3rd January.
• EastEnders star Michael Grecco leads the cast in the magical pantomime adventure Aladdin at the Assembly Hall Theatre, Tunbridge Wells, when he plays the evil Ababazar from 8th December-3rd January 2018.
• Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be dropping into the Stag Theatre Sevenoaks from 1st December. The Orchard Theatre in Dartford presents Cinderella, from 9th-31st December, while Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs are set to thrill audiences at the Churchill in Bromley. The Oast in Tonbridge travels to Neverland with Wendy, Peter Pan and Captain Hook and his pirate crew in an adaptation of the J M Barrie classic on multiple dates starting on 8th December.